Even though my game has been submitted, I managed to make some tweaks to make the game run more efficiently. I think that the game should have a solid 60fps framerate at this point but I still need to do some more testing.
Sunday, December 13, 2015
Wednesday, August 19, 2015
Monday, August 3, 2015
Friday, July 31, 2015
Thursday, July 23, 2015
My Indie game is 2D so Pixel needs to be in the titleWhy do indie games need to have "PIXEL" in the name. I DON'T CARE!!!! It's like I'm being tricked into buying it just because it has retro 2D graphics.
Insert Generic action word with "Zombie""Zombie Defense" "Zombie Panic" "Zombie RPG" "Undead Adventure" This bothers me a lot. I usually see stuff that involves tower defense, rpg zombie hunting game or some other kind of defense game. It's basically an insert the blank kind of title. Give me a break please. Resident Evil was a gripping title for that particular game and even "Biohazard" was unique for the time, imagine if it was called "Zombie Mansion" instead LAME!
Dungeon or Quest or rogueI am perfectly fine with RPG elements or rogue like elements, but seriously I think that placing these words in the actual title of the game is a bit cliche.
These are just some of the things that bother me in titles today. BY NO MEANS does it mean these games are bad. I just enjoy creative titles, I hope it doesn't discourage anyone from releasing their game, I just hope I'm not the only one who finds this trend annoying.
Monday, July 20, 2015
I ran into a small hurdle earlier last week related to the next update. I realized that making the levels bigger and adding more shit kills the ouyas performance lol. I've been using my PC rig as a test device which is something nobody should do! I uploaded my apk to my ouya and it was running at 30FPS. To me thats unacceptable, so I took on the challenge of optimizing it. It now runs at 60FPS and I am currently adding a new test level or two for you guys to play with. I also have changed some of the graphics, the revised graphics are on the top column while the older graphics are on the bottom column. I honestly think I've come a long way lol.
Monday, July 13, 2015
Thursday, July 9, 2015
I must say I enjoy programming on these micro consoles such as the Kindle fire TV and the Ouya. The most attractive aspect of micro consoles is the fact that they are very low spec consoles. During the early years of the game industry it was almost essential to develop games on as many platforms as possible. These days it seems that computers have advanced so much that even the lowest end of PCs with a basic graphics card can handle most common games. With the advancement of "off the shelf development kits" games are becoming very elementary to create. When you look at the original specs of Doom and even check out the source code, the developer of that game optimized the shit out of it to make sure it ran as fast as possible.
These days it seems like even the laziest development practices will provide decent results. However, this usually doesn't apply to micro consoles (which is the point I'm trying to make). Games are still challenging to make on micro consoles due to limited resources. I find this absolutely fascinating and want to see how I can make my game run as smoothly as possible. What I may do eventually is try to use less of the framework (such as LibGDX) and work on optimizing my own code. I enjoy programming and making things run fast, so this is why I love programming on Micro Consoles!
Just thought I would share
Thursday, June 11, 2015
Right now unofficially I can announce that I've added:
-Mines that can be placed on the battlefield
-Some new AI behaviors
-Final Boss functionality!
More content to come!
Thursday, May 21, 2015
Sunday, May 17, 2015
Added Sprinting and Knifing in the new update
Also, I added a screen resize feature to compensate for overscan on TV, just one of those things I didn't implement earlier due to time constraints. Other stuff I will talk about later this week... hopefully
Wednesday, April 22, 2015
Friday, April 10, 2015
Tuesday, April 7, 2015
I honestly thought I lost this video, but this was my first attempt at programming a stable platforming game engine. At the time I was reading into a basic vector math book along with a Libgdx book. I think I'm only getting better at programming game mechanics, but as you can see, you have to start somewhere!
-Controller Menu text has been changed from red to white (easier to read)
-Animations have been enhanced. 4 frame running and climbing animations
-Added lanterns that fall and explode when shot.
-Throwing Knives, these can be used by the player and are now affected by gravity. The knives can be shot away from the player with a well placed bullet.
-Enemies can no longer shoot you from out of range distances. It seemed a bit unfair that they can shoot from outside of the players view.
Multiplayer to be announced later
Sunday, March 29, 2015
from there you draw on top of it...
and finally here is the finished product...
Sunday, March 15, 2015
Monday, March 9, 2015
Here is the original prototype video, Hard to believe this was 7 months ago. I took out the idea that the bullets bounce off of everything. There was an issue with the game being to difficult to interpret where the bullet would wind up. There was too much room for error, so I took that out and bullets only bounce off of certain surfaces.